2. Our vision for the North East as the apex coordinating body of all interventions for the North East is not only to build back better destroyed structures and institutions that would support the needs and aspirations of the people of the North East and to resettle the displaced persons but also to build resilience capacity of the people who are the ultimate drivers of the change they would want to see in their communities in the long run. This calls for a framework that would guide this vision. And that framework is the Buhari Plan.
3. The Buhari Plan is a collective national vision for the North East derived from the harmonization of assessments, reports and studies such as the Recovery and Peace Building Assessment (RPBA); North East States Transformation Strategy (NESTS); Long Term Economic Reconstruction and Development Plan prepared in collaboration with MDAs; 2016 Humanitarian Response Plan (HRP) by the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) and the Humanitarian Country Team just to mention a few. This has further been distilled into High Impact Programmes for the North East.
4. The monthly coordination meeting being proposed has become imperative in view of the determination of the government of President Muhammadu Buhari to stamp out inefficiency in the application of resources.
5. As an apex coordinating body we have keyed into this message. Hence we are convening this meeting to afford us the opportunity to discuss ways through which we can best avoid duplication of efforts and wastages that may arise in addition to identifying gaps and filling them. The proposed monthly coordination meeting affords such an opportunity.
6. Overall, the aim and objectives of this meeting, ladies and gentlemen, include but are not limited to the following: (1) to share with you the vision of the PCNI in the rebuilding of North East; (2) present to you PCNI’s monthly coordination processes, tools and mechanism; (3) share experiences and information on a regular basis for a better coordination of efforts (4) evolve better strategy for coordination and identification of gaps.
7. It is my hope that as we deliberate on all of these, we would come up with the best strategy to ease gaps identification while enhancing PCNI coordination role, elimination of duplications and ensuring judicious use of resources appropriated in the 2017 budget for the North East.
8. Your cooperation as critical stakeholders is key to attaining the desired aim and objectives of this meeting and the successful delivery of the Buhari Plan. I wish you all happy fruitful deliberation.